An RV is considered to be the best travel buddy for all adventurous guys out there. However, there are times where you need to park it for a while and caring for it during storage is as much important as during long road trips.
But how should we maintain our RV’s performance even when unused?
Here are 10 tipson how to care for your RV during storage:
1. If you are renting a covered or enclosed parking space, make sure you know the height of your vehicle so it will fit in the space you’ve selected.
2. Tires should be inflated to the manufacturer’s recommended maximum psi during storage to avoid flat spots.
3. For extended storage periods, many manufacturers recommend storing the vehicle off the ground on jack stands. This takes the weight off the tires and helps prevent flat spots. If this isn’t possible, several commercial products are available to help minimize the occurrence of flat spots on your tires.
4. RVs/campers should be stored with all of their water and waste-water tanks empty. Vehicles should be thoroughly cleaned prior to storage. Refrigerator doors and cabinets should be left open during storage to prevent mold and odors.
5. Use baking soda or dryer sheets to absorb odors.
6. Vehicles left for extended periods should be stored with a full tank of gas and an appropriate fuel stabilizer should also be used. This will help prevent condensation from developing in the fuel tank.
7. Wheels should be chocked and the parking brake should be off to keep the brake pads from sticking to the rotors.
8. If the vehicle must be stored outdoors, invest in a durable cover for the vehicle to protect it from the sun, wind, dust and dirt.
9. A coupler lock should be used to secure your trailer. If you don’t have one or have questions about how best to secure your trailer, check with your Move It Self Storage manager to see which products are available for sale in the office.
10. Most facilities do not allow for mechanical work or maintenance to be done on site. Therefore, please make arrangements for any vehicle maintenance to take place elsewhere before or after storing.
Are you interested in RVing? So are we! We love life on the open road. Driving places and seeing things you have never seen before.
Enjoying nature and a good campfire (along with a roasted marshmallow). We created RVing.how to be your hub for everything RVing!
We hope you enjoy the site and if you have any questions or comments please let us know on the contact us page.